Grauman's Chinese TheatreBack to Places Main > Grauman's Chinese Theatre
Real Identity: Not Applicable
Appearances (SS): Hoop Squad
Voiced By: Not Applicable
After the success of the Egyptian Theatre, Sid Grauman and C.E. Toberman went forward with a new venture. Toberman got a long term lease at 6925 Hollywood Boulevard. He then turned to the Meyer & Holler firm to design a second palace-theatre, this time, in the style of China. The exterior is that of a red Chinese pagoda while the architecture utilizes many more motifs such as a Chinese dragon and Ming Heavens dogs. Grauman financed it and owned one-third interest. A story of dispute, then by accident, Grauman admitted he got an idea to immortalize celebrities in soft concrete in the forecourt. The Chinese Theatre was built in 1926 and opened on May 18, 1927. It has the distinction of being the first-run movie theater, where movies are first viewed by the public. From 1944-1946, the Academy Awards ceremonies were held at the Chinese Theatre.
In 1968, it was declared a historic and cultural landmark. From 1973 to 2001, it was owned by Mann Theatres and renamed Mann's Chinese Theatre. After bankruptcy, it was sold in 2000 to Warner Bros. and Paramount Pictures. The Grauman's Chinese Theatre name was restored in 2002. There are little under 200 Hollywood celebrity handprints, footprints, and autographs in the famous forecourt. In the early 21st century, during the NBA All-Star Games, the Theatre was briefly glimpsed by Robert Hawkins, Virgil Hawkins, and Richie Foley.